How to Motivate Yourself to Achieve Goals in 2022

*This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link!*

It’s a brand new year! New beginnings, new goals, and new plans!  After the planning, the next big challenge is to know how to motivate yourself to achieve goals!

Did you know that only 8% of people fulfill their new year’s goals? I’m not gonna lie, I’m one of the other 92%. (yikes!) 🤦‍♀️

There are so many factors why we’re failing to achieve our new year’s resolutions. Our goals might be too ambitious or unattainable which could negatively impact our motivation.

Read more:

Pin this for later!

First, you have to make sure that your goals are SMART goals, or Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. Once you evaluate them, here are three tips on how to motivate yourself to achieve goals:

1. Understand the purpose of your goals

First and foremost, know the “why” of your goals. This is a huge one. Many of us value their goals, however, they don’t fully understand why they want to achieve them. 

This was one of my big mistakes a few years ago. I set goals, try to achieve them, and refuse to continue in an instant because I don’t really understand the importance of that one specific goal to me.

You see, knowing and understanding the purpose of your goals act like fuel for us to keep going and achieve our goals. 

Time will pass and we will get tired of working on our goals. The first thing we always look back to get motivation is why we are doing what we do.

Not just that, but we also need a compelling enough reason to achieve our goals. You might be fully aware of the purpose of  your goals, but it’s not powerful enough for you to keep going. So always think, (1) the purpose of your goals and (2) why that purpose matters.

2. Expect for challenges

Next on how to motivate yourself to achieve goals is keeping in mind that there are challenges that will come on your way. This is also important. When we are planning for our goals, we tend to forget that challenges are inevitable. Sometimes we expect that things will go according to our plans, but that’s not always the case.

We have to expect challenges and accept that there will be imperfections coming on our way but that doesn’t mean we need to give up achieving our goals.

Challenges will make achieving goals even sweeter. Instead of avoiding it or giving up once you encounter some challenges, simply accept it and remember that it is part of your journey.

3. Create a better system

In his book Atomic Habits, James Clear said, “goals are good for setting a direction, but systems are best for making progress.”

I agree with that 100%! But I’d say, having a system will help you create an environment and routine that will motivate you to achieve your goals.

In the book I just mentioned, Clear introduced 4 steps to design an effective system. These are:

  1. Make it obvious 
  2. Make it attractive
  3. Make it easy 
  4. Make it satisfying

You can follow this steps to create a better system and motivate yourself to achieve your goals.

I highly recommend reading the Atomic Habits if you want to learn more about creating a better system! You can check it out here.

Final thoughts about how to motivate yourself to achieve goals

Just start. Sometimes the only way to motivate yourself is to get it started no matter how small the step you’re going to take. As you start and keep it going, you’ll notice that along the way you’ll get the motivation you need to achieve your goals.

I hope these tips will help you achieve your goals for 2022! 🎉

Comments down below if you have any tips other on achieving your goals!

Also, feel free to share with me your main goal this 2022 and what’s your number 1 motivation! Research says that sharing your goals with others will help you be more accountable and motivated. So go ahead and share your goals in the comments!

Don't forget to pin it!